Sujoy Das was born in Calcutta India in 1961. He is a self taught freelance photo-journalist specializing in editorial photography and photo essays and working primarily in the Himalayas.
TREKKING AND HIKING
Has been trekking and hiking in the Himalayas for the last thirty years. Notable trekking routes/climbs include:
• Across seven passes from Lamayuru to Padum September 2009
• Winter ascent of Kala Pattar peak, (Everest region) Dec 2003;
• Everest Base Camp 18,500 feet (2001);
• Thorung-la pass and Annapurna Circuit 17,746 feet (2000);
• Annapurna Base Camp 14,300 feet (1999);
• Gokyo Ri peak Everest region 18,275 feet (1998);
• Rupkund Lake, Garhwal Himalaya 16,200 feet (1996);
• Kangchendzonga Base Camp North and Green Lakes 16,875 feet (1987);
• Dorji La peak North Sikkim Himalayas 18,644 feet (1986).
• Crossing of Lhonak-la pass North Sikkim Himalayas (1987)
• Give Youth a Constructive Role: Nuturing Nature not Violence a photo essay on the youth of Assam, August 2002
• Nepali Women Rising, a photo essay on the women of Nepal, December 2002
• The Man who captured the truth- Vittorio Sella The Telegraph 29th October 2009
• Kodachrome The Telegraph July 5th 2009
• Kolkata: Eats on the streets and off the beaten path The Washington Post February 28th 2010
INDIVIDUAL PHOTOGRAPHY EXHIBITIONS
• 1992 Land of the Lotus Born – Photographs from Sikkim, India International Centre, New Delhi.
• 1992 The Sikkim Years – A Retrospective, Academy of Fine Arts, Kolkata
SELECTED GROUP PHOTOGRAPHY EXHIBITIONS
• 1993 2nd Indian Biennale of Creative Photography, Lalit Kala Akademi, New Delhi
• 1991 Mountaineering in the Indian Himalaya, Indian Mountaineering Foundation Museum, New Delhi
• 1987-88 Festival of India Photo Exhibition Pratibimba, toured the major cities of the USSR as part of the Festival of India.
Photographs and essays have been published in books and magazines in India and abroad.
• Trekking Holidays in India – Outlook Traveller Guides, New Delhi 2005
• Sikkim – A Traveller’s Guide - Photographs and Essays by Sujoy Das and Text by Arundhati Ray Permanent Black New Delhi 3rd reprint 2008. Finalist in the Banff Mountain Book Festival in November 2001 in the Adventure Travel Category.
• Lonely Planet- Nepal for the Indian Traveller 2013
• Calcutta – Edited by Michel Vatin, APA Guides, Singapore 1991.
• Sikkim, Darjeeling and Kalimpong with text by Wendy Brewer Lama, APA Guides Singapore 1992
• South India with text by Manjulika Dubey and Bikram Grewal, APA Guides Singapore 1992
• Flowers of the Western Himalaya by Rupin Dang, Delhi 1993
• The Himalayas – Text by Shankar Barua, Roli Books , New Delhi 1994
• Hill Stations of India by Gillian Wright, 1995
Magazines and Newspapers
• Rediscovering Darjeeling – Frontline 10-23 August 1985
• Darjeeling – Perspectives in the 150th Anniversary Year – Destination India, October 1985
• The Abode of the Dorje, Darjeeling – Swagat, January 1986
• The Serampore Press and Library – The India Magazine, June 1986
• Feat of Clay – The Clay Modellers of Krishnagar – Frontline 9-22 August 1986
• P N Bose- From the Travel Journals of a Geologist- The India Magazine July 1989
• Sikkim Himalaya – Sawasdee, December 1989
• Beauty at it’s Peak: North Sikkim- The Telegraph Sunday Magazine 11th March 1990
• Great Escapes- The Telegraph Sunday Magazine 29th April 1990
• The Dance of Death: Lama Dances in Sikkim- The Telegraph Sunday Magazine 16th December 1990
• Kalimpong: The Economic Times 19th May 1991
• Anglo Indians: Pioneers and Prodigies- Discover India June 1991
• The Yak Herdsmen of the Lhonak Valley – The India Magazine September 1992
• Journey Down the Hoogly- The India Magazine, June 1993
• The Wrath of Nanda Devi- Sunday Magazine 2 January 1993
• Architecture and Design Magazine Cover Photograph June 1989
Sujoy is currently working on a book on the Indian Himalayas due for publication in 2013 and also leading treks in the Himalayas under the banner of South Col Expeditions http://www.southcol.com